New Young Reviewers Program
Applications for the 2023 New Young Reviewers Program are now open!
The New Young Reviewers Program (previously, Teenjur Young Critics), supported by the Jon Kaplan Legacy Fund, is a FREE workshop series and writing group for 10 emerging theatre and performance reviewers ages 15 and up.
Led by Signy Lynch (Contemporary Theatre Review, Canadian Theatre Review, Intermission Magazine) and Stephanie Fung (Kingston Theatre Alliance, Canadian Theatre Review, Single Thread Theatre), this program focuses on introducing participants to the basics of theatre reviewing and help them develop responses to Toronto Fringe performances. It also encourages participants to explore new, creative approaches to criticism that are emerging in the field, and to begin to define themselves as critics and reviewers.
This year, the New Young Reviewers program will include:
- 3 weekly weekend workshops on theatre and performance criticism prior to the start of the Toronto Fringe Festival, starting mid-June 2023.
- 3 in-person check-in sessions throughout the 2023 Toronto Fringe Festival (July 5-16).
- Media passes for eligible shows in the Toronto Fringe Festival.
- Support for participants to publish 2 performance review articles covering the 2023 Toronto Fringe Festival productions which will be published via our media partners as well as the Toronto Fringe’s platforms.
- The opportunity to attend networking events throughout the course of the Toronto Fringe Festival
New Young Reviewers has space for up 10 participants and is free. We are also offering an honorarium for all participants accepted into the program. IBPOC applicants will be prioritized.
Questions? Please email Lucy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline to apply: March 31, 2023
The 2021 cohort awarded the New Young Reviewers Award to At the End of the Day by End of Day Productions.
Read some of their Digital Fringe reviews on our Future Voices page here.
Jon Kaplan was a tireless supporter of the Toronto Fringe
Full press release here. Also please enjoy this vintage Polaroid photo of Jon Kaplan from one of the first ever Fringe Festivals. (Eddie Roy, Jon and Ellen-Ray Hennessy c. 1989) Photo courtesy of Gregory Nixon.
About the Jon Kaplan Legacy Fund:
For over three decades, beloved theatre reviewer Jon Kaplan wrote about and celebrated Toronto theatre. He was a strong supporter of young artists and diverse voices. Following his death in 2017, the Jon Kaplan Legacy Fund was created to provide recognition and financial support for theatre makers at all stages of their careers.