Apply for the Next Stage Theatre Festival
The Next Stage Theatre Festival is an indie theatre festival run by Toronto Fringe. Established in 2008, this festival has spent the last decade showcasing Fringe artists and taking their work to the next level. In the first 10 years of the festival, Next Stage shows were nominated for 25 Dora Mavor Moore Awards and NSTF artists have become major players in the Canadian culture scene. The Next Stage Theatre Festival runs every January at Factory Theatre. Tickets are $10-15. Join us at our heated Steam Whistle Beer Tent!
Video by Jeremy Mimnagh.
Shows featured in video: MANICPIXIEDREAM GIRLS, The Death of Mrs. Gandhi and the Beginning of New Physics, Clique Claque.
Applications for the 2020 Next Stage Theatre Festival will open in Spring 2019
The Next Stage Theatre Festival is the premiere winter theatre event in the city. Produced by the Toronto Fringe, Next Stage is a platform for artists to take groundbreaking work to the next level, and is a gathering place for discerning culture lovers in the city. It takes place every January at the Factory Theatre.
In previous years, only artists who were listed as a primary contact with a CAFF (Canadian Association of Fringe Festivals) show were eligible to apply to Next Stage. However, as of 2019, anyone who has been involved in a CAFF Fringe show in any capacity, and can demonstrate their connection to Fringe, are welcome to apply. We are also keen to know why you think the Next Stage Theatre Festival would be a good fit for your show and your relevant producing experience. You can apply with a previous Fringe show, or you can submit a new piece.
Perks of Next Stage Theatre Festival
- Artistic VIPs (including programmers) will be invited to attend the Festival to see artists’ work.
- A fun, community-filled festival experience during the winter months.
- Great networking opportunities.
The Next Stage Theatre Festival was created to give promising Fringe artists development opportunities beyond the summer festival, supporting the evolution of their work and helping them reach broader audiences. The Fringe helps Next Stage artists deal with the challenges of mounting an independent production by offering financial, production, marketing, and technical support. We welcome proposals from emerging and mid-career artists.
Interested in applying? A few things to note ….
- There is no participation fee for successful candidates; however, please note that the Toronto Fringe will split box office revenues 70/30 with 70% going to the artist.
- New works, reworked projects, original adaptations and remounts are all eligible. Productions of work by notable playwrights or of “the classics” are not.
- The festival is juried by local theatre professionals.