until Fringe 2016, June 29-July 10, 2016!
Fringe is coming!!!! Mark your calendars
Passes on sale June 2 and single tickets June 9
Want to know more?
- Our first festival was in 1989.
- Most festivals feature 150+ shows in 30+ venues – with a total of more than 1,100 performances.
- Even though we’re a theatre festival, the Fringe is more than just theatre! There’s also dance, visual art, buskers, site-specific performances, and more…
- The maximum ticket price is $12 and kids’ tickets are just $5.
- The Fringe Club, our outdoor festival headquarters, has tons of free programming!
- Lots of big shows got their start at the Toronto Fringe: The Drowsy Chaperone, Kim’s Convenience, ‘da Kink in My Hair, Mump and Smoot, My Mother’s Lesbian Jewish Wiccan Wedding, and most recently, A Musical of Musicals: The Musical. You might just catch the next big hit
Photos by Solana Cain
The Toronto Fringe is part of the “Fringe movement” – a worldwide network of indie theatre festivals. As the name suggests, the movement is about celebrating under-represented voices and those on the margins of the performing arts world. It’s a festival where anyone can put on any show, without having to pass through a jury – where theatre students can mount their first production outside of school, where emerging artists can get their big break, and where established artists can test out new work. It’s a festival where audiences come for the adventure and the community as much as for the plays themselves.
The Toronto Fringe is proud to be a member of the Canadian Association of Fringe Festivals (CAFF). Like all CAFF festivals we follow three golden rules:
- All shows at the Fringe must be chosen at random by lottery, or on a first come/first served basis. Last year the Toronto Fringe received almost 700 applications to our lottery!
- 100% of the ticket price is returned to artists. Last year, CAFF festivals returned more than five million dollars to performing arts companies!
- We will never intervene in the artistic content of participating productions. These are your stories, this is your art.